Friday, June 1, 2012

All about ANGORA RABBITS--- Harvesting fiber

How do I harvest my angora rabbit's wool?

Wiley's Whopper--Purebred German Angora and aspiring Opera singer

 

The simple answer: There are two ways to harvest angora wool: plucking or shearing/clipping.

A more in-depth answer: Angora breeds like the Giant and German angora NEED to be shorn or clipped. They are non-molting breeds and cannot be plucked without causing much pain to the rabbit and damage to the wool follicle. French, English and Satin angoras can be either plucked or shorn/clipped. This is a matter of personal preference... and much debate.

Here is a YouTube video (courtesy of Urban Farm Online) on how to clip the wool from an angora rabbit with a pair of scissors. 




I'm afraid I couldn't find a decent video demonstrating the proper way to pluck an angora rabbit. If you run across one, please send me the link!

How I harvest wool from my angora rabbits: I've been grooming and clipping angoras for a number of years now, but I remember how nervous I was those first few times taking a scissors to my fully coated bunny. Remember that the skin, especially on their underside, is very very thin and can be cut very easily.  I use Fiskars school scissors, and the process I use is very similar to the one in Urban Farm Online's video. Since I have mostly German and German hybrids, I shear my rabbits every 90 days (generally, a staple length of 3"). I also clip my Satin angoras. I WISH they had full coats ready to be shorn every 90 days!! I wait until they are ready to molt, about every 4-5 months, depending on the weather. All of my bunnies are harvested at the beginning of summer.

Hints and Tips
 *Stay calm. Your bunny can sense your frustration and fear, and will act accordingly.

 *Don't try to take on the entire process in one sitting. If it's been a while since you've last groomed your rabbit, comb them out one day, harvest the wool along their back and sides the next, and clip down the belly and leg wool (and furnishings if any) the following day. Your bunny will appreciate not having to put up with this harvesting business for more than 20-30 minutes at a time, and it will be much more enjoyable for the both of you!

*Make certain that bunny's nails are nice and short before ANY grooming or harvesting session. That way, if your bunny stages a protest, you won't be left with battle scars.

 *Some rabbits take to the process very well. Others require some training. Do not allow a more precocious rabbit to completely thwart your grooming or harvesting efforts. Be gentle, but firm, and keep sessions short if a particular bunny gets an attitude.