Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day Three... "Instead of counting the days, make every day count"

Mom, they aren't hatching yet!
We've been turning our eggs by hand five times a day. Had to refill the water well TWICE today. Must be some thirsty eggs!
Not surprisingly, the kids' interest in the eggs has already waned. 21 days seems like an eternity to a preschooler and a kindergartener. It's a good thing that I am really doing the chicken hatching project for selfish reasons.... the educational value is just a fringe benefit:-)

I was an avid 4-Her during my middle school and a few of my high school years. I have always lived in the city, but that didn't stop me from raising rabbits, training dogs and learning about animal husbandry. I still plan to homestead one day...

In the meantime, Wade and I are slowly turning our rather small, very urban, backyard into our version of an urban farm. It amazes me how many opportunities for learning presented themselves while we dug out tree stumps and put in raised beds these past two weeks. All we had to do was start digging in the dirt and the worms, grubs, and beetles we uncovered piqued our daughter's fear (thankfully, it was short lived), then interest in insects. My kindergartener is already a self-proclaimed expert in this area, and he enjoyed the opportunity to identify familiar species and classify them for us. It is turning out to be the summer of Arthropods! I know we are supposed to be doing chicken embryology... but until those eggs show some semblance of life, I'm going to keep the kids busy with anything else they show interest in;-)
My little artist